Saturday, July 19, 2008

A post that has no pictures, because I am lazy

So I don't think I ever told the story of why, exactly, I learned to knit. A big part of it is that my friend Henry (not to be confused with my brother Henry) is, like, the king of knitting in public. And I've always been one of those girls who's happiest with some string, or yarn, or embroidery floss to mess with. I'm, like, the queen of friendship bracelets, the half-hitch kind, the braided kind, the macramé kind . . . Also I'm a big fan of gimp keychains.

When I was about 12 or 13 (I think), I bought myself a spindle at a silent auction (it came with some good-for-beginners roving), and a braid of roving in very pretty colors from the people (Mielke's Farm) who donated the spindle kit to the silent auction.

Time goes by. I occasionally make yarn, but don't have anything to do with it, don't ever set it, etc. It tends to bounce away on the floor of my room and get nasty. At some point in this time period, the roving braid bounces away on my floor and gets all nasty, but there is still good-quality roving around.

Fast-forward to this past April: I'm poking around in my unorganized boxes of vaguely-defined "craft stuff" and come across my spindle and some roving, and I'm having a struggle with unhealthy eating and so need something to do with my hands, so I start spinning instead of munching as I watch The West Wing on DVD. (I'm two episodes into the 6th season . . . and Josh/Donna is my OTP!!) And I realized that clearly I needed to learn how to do something with all this yarn.

So I went to the bookstore and baught a Klutz knitting kit, which completely sucks and I do not recommend it. And then I got totally sucked in. Very very fast. Not in that I've knit a lot of things, but I have read a ridiculous number of books from the library on the topic and I'm totally absorbed by the internet part of things. And I knit. Also.

I was going to talk about my Continued Adventures in Spinning, but I don't really fel like it . . . I'm going to makes some deviled eggs! Hooray!

No comments: